Utah GLX

Some of you may have seen my forwarded email earlier today. In that mail I complained about having my X install replaced with a non functional half install onf X 4.0.1 and 3.3.6-18.

I use utah to play games, do modeling, and develop GL applications. I am outraged that after expressing concern over the X team's roadmap to branden and others that they were not considering utah. The DRI drivers do not function as well as the DRI drivers for my card ( G400 ) and serveral other cards/chipsets. You're forcing people to give up performance, correctness, and hardware GL accelration altogether in some cases.

I want to see action taken to change the dependences, so that X 4.0 aren't required and that utah support can continue until DRI catches up. If I would have known an overnight upgrade of gtk would reinstall a hack of 4.0.1 and 3.3.6 that doesn't even run as an SVGA server - then I would not have done it. I don't see how this policy makes sense.

I am now using xfree 4.0.1 tarballs for the moment, and please don't hide behind the excuse that debain isn't supposed to work correctly. I think maintainers should take some responsibility and look for conflicts that they cause before they happen.

cheers,
Terry