Re: How to start X during bootup as user

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 09:51:07AM +0100, Cajus Pollmeier wrote:
> Am Friday 08 December 2000 09:33 schrieb Joshua Shagam:
> > Ah, okay, that makes more sense.  The shellscript is probably the easiest
> > way in that case.  Try starting up a getty using your shellscript instead
> > of /bin/login; I believe you'd want to add '-l /path/to/the/shellscript' to
> > the end of one of your getty lines in your /etc/inittab.
>
> Currently I'm trying it this way:
> X:2:respawn:/etc/init.d/kiosk
>
> But it doesn't work the way as expected - same error than before. What do you
> mean with "-l ...."? I can't find any options starting with "-l" for getty.

At least in the version of getty I have installed (in util-linux 2.10q-1),
-l specifies an alternate to /bin/login:

       getty  [-ihLmnw]  [-f  issue_file]  [-l login_program] [-I
       init] [-t  timeout]  [-H  login_host]  port  baud_rate,...
       [term]

       -l login_program
              Invoke   the  specified  login_program  instead  of
              /bin/login.  This allows the use of a  non-standard
              login  program  (for  example,  one that asks for a
              dial-up password or that uses a different  password
              file).

--
Joshua Shagam                  /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
joshagam@cs.nmsu.edu           \ / No HTML/RTF in email