Re: How to start X during bootup as user

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 09:26:47AM +0100, Cajus Pollmeier wrote:
> Am Friday 08 December 2000 09:22 schrieb Joshua Shagam:
> > On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 08:42:57AM +0100, Cajus Pollmeier wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I'm trying to run X from an init script during boot up like this:
> > >
> > > #!/bin/bash
> > > while true; do
> > >   su - kiosk -c /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
> > > done
> >
> > Why are you doing this?  Why not run xdm?  It's not THAT time-consuming to
> > log in when you need the computer.  Unless you run Enlightenment, in which
> > case the amount of time it takes you to log in is the least of your
> > problems. ;)
>
> Well - this if for a kind of kiosk system. The user will run into a prog
> where he/she will only be able to press the finger on the screen.
> The Touchscreen is the only device connected to this box, so logging
> in makes no sense here.

Ah, okay, that makes more sense.  The shellscript is probably the easiest
way in that case.  Try starting up a getty using your shellscript instead
of /bin/login; I believe you'd want to add '-l /path/to/the/shellscript' to
the end of one of your getty lines in your /etc/inittab.

--
Joshua Shagam                  /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
joshagam@cs.nmsu.edu           \ / No HTML/RTF in email