Re: Problem getting XF 4.0.1(g) to work with Matrox G450

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Richard Ayotte wrote:

>    * Don't overclock bus speed in the bios unless you're ready to do some
>      soldering on your Duron. - (Not recommended)
Didn't do that.

>    * If you're using the font servers (xfs or xfstt), make sure they are
>      running before you start X. XFree86 left my video card in unworkable
>      state if any of font servers were not working.
Removed the line in the config, 'cause I haven't installed a font server
(yet)

>    * Use the MGA driver that comes with the distribution. The driver from the
>      Matrox site is unstable and only does DGA 1.0
Tried both of them, no luck

>    * In your kernel setup, turn on the following
>
>           <M> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support)
>           [*]   VIA chipset support
>           [*] Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 DRI support)
>           <M>   Matrox g200/g400

I've done that (built-in, no modules) in the 2.2.18pre21 kernel supplied
with Debian. I've been unable to build a 2.4.0test10 or 11 kernel (see
some of my previous posts in debian-user)
I've also tried to launch X without these things built in, disabling DRI
in the config. No X either.

> Be careful with 3D apps. The gears and sprongies screen savers work find but
> lament will hang X and put your video card in a weird state and you'll have
> to reboot.

I'll remember that advice, once I get X to work ;-)

--

A sociologist, a psychologist, and a engineer were discussing the
consequences and implications of a married man's having a mistress.  The
sociologist's opinion was that it is absolutely and categorically unforgivable
for a married man to forfeit the bond of matrimony, and engage in such lowly
and lustful pursuits.
	The psychologist's opinion was that although morally reprehensible,
if a man MUST have a mistress to achieve his full potential as a human being,
then -- well -- he may go ahead and choose to have a mistress, as long as he
is considerate enough to keep this secret from his wife.
	The engineer then interjected: "I also believe that, if necessary,
a married man is entitled to a mistress.  However, I do not see why the
affair should be concealed from the wife.  On the contrary, if the affair
is out in the open, then on Friday evenings he may tell his wife that he
is going to see his mistress, tell his mistress that he is going to be with
his wife, then go to his office and get some work done!"