Re: Problem getting XF 4.0.1(g) to work with Matrox G450

Sounds like you've got the exact same hardware that I do, Asus A7V, Duron
700, Matrox G200 (or some kind of MGA card), kernel 2.4.0test10 and rest
assured that this hardware works extremely well with woody and the
2.4.0test10. I can honestly can say that, I've never seen my system work so
well, including power management which never worked right for me before.

Now, on to your problem, the solid crash.

Here are few pointers.

   * Don't overclock bus speed in the bios unless you're ready to do some
     soldering on your Duron. - (Not recommended)
   * If you're using the font servers (xfs or xfstt), make sure they are
     running before you start X. XFree86 left my video card in unworkable
     state if any of font servers were not working.
   * Use the MGA driver that comes with the distribution. The driver from the
     Matrox site is unstable and only does DGA 1.0
   * In your kernel setup, turn on the following

          <M> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support)
          [*]   VIA chipset support
          [*] Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 DRI support)
          <M>   Matrox g200/g400

          and for safety measure turn on

          [*] Magic SysRq key

          it will get you out of some nasty situations.

Be careful with 3D apps. The gears and sprongies screen savers work find but
lament will hang X and put your video card in a weird state and you'll have
to reboot.

Good luck.

Rich