xmms, xfree4

This is a rather odd situation. I'll just summarize, I have two
machines, a desktop called baboon, and a laptop called gorilla:

When running xmms on baboon, but directing output to gorilla (connected
to baboon with ssh -X), xmms segfaults.

When running xmms on gorilla (same version), output to baboon,
everything appears fine.

When running xmms on baboon, my display "hangs". It is still possible to
connect over the network and order the machine to reboot, but
display/keyboard cannot be restored. (Or is there a better way than
"kill [-9?] X"?)

I made a major system upgrade a while back, running latest debian xmms,
XFree4.0.1, I have a nvidia TNT2-m64... It seems xmms has some bug that
appears on baboon but not on gorilla, but this bothers me less than the
fact that it takes my display down with it. (I'm not sure X crashes,
but my screen is not updated anymore, and the mouse cursor disappears.)

I have commented 'Load "glx"' in my XF86Config-4, unresolved symbols
stops X from loading if I don't. I also commented 'Load "dri"', as I
don't have a 2.4.x kernel. I have tried nvidia's drivers - these hang my
machine completely, no longer responds to pings, etc. Before I solve
that though, I first want to fix up this xmms with the normal "nv" open
source driver.

Any ideas? What other modules can/should I comment?
Hugo van der Merwe

ps. I haven't subscribed to this list, I read it via the web. CC'ing to
me will make replying that much easier. Thanks.