XFree86 4.0.1-7, GNOME and Fvwm 2.3 => KaBOoOM

Yesterday I updated X packages to version 4.0.1-7 and after troublesome
installation (these postinst bugs you know...) I got it running somehow,
but something seems to be severly broken as now I don't seem to be able
to run GNOME-enabled development versions (first 2.3.22, now 2.3.23) of
my favourite window manager, Fvwm. When I try to log in using gdm, the
gnome-session goes fine to the point where it launches window manager,
but then I get black screen and lockup which doesn't seem to go away
with anything else than hardware reset. With "clean" account and some
other window manager there's no problem to log in, but even then I can
get some sort of lockup (which opens after a while) when I try to use
the above mentioned Fvwm-version as window manager.

--
  *  H e i k k i   K a n t o l a  *  | Report all instances that you see
   IRC: Hezu                         | of spam abuse. Civilized people need