Re: broken xserver-xfree86

Mark Montague <monty@gg.caltech.edu> writes:

> I found that despite this error message, my X server (kinda) worked,
> but I had to change a link:
>
> ls -sf /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 /etc/X11/X

yes, the link setup in the xserver-xfree86.postinst is wrong. it
should be:

ln -sf "$this_server" /etc/X11/X

not

  ln -sf /etc/X11/X "$this_server"

also, the link is not deleted when the xserver package is removed.
shouldn't this link be handled by the xserver-common package? but i
don't think this link should be there in the first place (as we seem
to have a wrapper in /usr/X11R6/bin/X). i am sure branden knows the
answer.

--alex--

--
| I believe the moment is at hand when, by a paranoiac and active |
|  advance of the mind, it will be possible (simultaneously with  |