xserver-xfree86 postinst fails in 4.0.1-6

Branden, my roommate is having trouble with the 4.0.1-6 upgrade. He
started out with a previous 4.0.1-x release, likely -3, -4 or -5. The
error message returned is that the postinst failed. We have received two
different error messages -- exit status 1 and exit status 5.

Running startx as a user gives this:
var: allowed_users, value: rootonly.
var: nice_value, value: .
X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X (No such file or directory), aborting.
giving up.
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  server error.

His dialog and debconf are up to date. (Making the /etc/X11/X symlink
ourselves did not make matters better. :)

We have tried dpkg-reconfigure debconf, selecting dialog and medium
severity, do not ask questions multiple times. This would not allow us
to progess any further with dpkg-reconfigure xserver-free86. Trying
dpkg-reconfigure debconf, selecting dialog, low severity, ask questions
multiple times, we get prompted with the ``hello new users, /etc/X11,
hit <enter>'' screen when running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, but
then the script dies, error status 1.

At no time can we run dpkg --configure xserver-xfree86 because the
xserver-xfree86 package is not completely installed. (Yes, we were a bit
confused.)

Changing the /etc/alternatives/perl to point to perl5.00503 (from
perl5.6.0) did not improve the situation. It got much worse in a real
hurry.

Sadly, we cannot help diagnose the problem much, as we are going on
thanksgiving break Real Soon Now. :-/

If you have any suggestions, that would be fine. My best guess is that
deleting and reinstalling may be required, but .. bed time calls. :)

Thanks Branden! :)

--
``Oh Lord; Ooh you are so big; So absolutely huge; Gosh we're all
really impressed down here, I can tell you.''