Re: X hangs console since upgrade

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 09:00:43PM -0800, Seth Arnold wrote:
> Ok, first, try uncommenting the misc fontpath -- many programs require
> fonts found in misc, I think, and maybe this will fix the problem.

Well, it hangs before it starts a client, but I did have the fonts
uncommented before. I've tried several of the obvious permutations. I wish I
could get some information out of it so I wasn't just going blindly. I tried
gdb too, but the hang was two or three "???" levels below InitOutput, and I
kind of hoped things would be easier than going into xsource.

> Second idea -- try setting your mouse protocol to something specific.
> Third idea -- try removing the gamma and dpms options from your monitor.

Tried those.

> Fourth idea -- try one or the other of SWcursor or HWcursor.
> Fifth idea -- try uncommenting PciRetry.

No luck there :(

> Sixth idea -- try uncommenting MGASDRAM.
> Seventh idea -- try uncommenting Overlay.

Those are for different (recent :) Matrox cards.

> Eighth idea -- try uncommenting SetMclk.

Do you know where this is documented? I didn't ind it in the XFree86 or mga
man pages...

> Ninth idea -- do you really have four megs of RAM on this board?

Yup. (Tried it with and without the option)

> Tenth idea -- the log file mentions the machine hasn't mtrr support.
> Perhaps this needs to be enabled in your kernel?

What's MTRR anyway? I haven't changed the kernel in a while, but I'll look
for that when I recompile it out of desperation :)

Thanks for the suggestions,
Robert