X hangs console since upgrade

I've tried to avoid asking about this, but I've run out of things to try :(
[Kernel 2.2.15, video card is Matrox Millenium I]

Since sometime around the X upgrade, something has gone seriously wrong with
my X system. First, XF-3 runs ok, but hangs (with heavy processor load) at any
attempt to exit the X tty (ie VC change or exit). It takes a kill -9 to get
rid of it, and nothing brings the consoles back (remote access works fine).
Everything was working fine before, but I haven't logged out of X in a
couple months, so maybe the problem arose over time.

Anyway, the real problem is that XF-4 hangs the exact same way right at
start up. I've looked around, and the board/chip should be supported "as
well as in XF 3." I tried dexter, "XFree86 -configure" and xf86cfg (which of
course only made it until it started X), as well as some hand fiddling, but
all with the same result. The server appears to initialize fine, but hangs
promptly after the DDC step. According to strace, printing this is the last
thing it does before spinning:

(**) MGA(0): Option "NoDDC"
(II) MGA(0): DDC Monitor info: (nil)
(II) MGA(0): end of DDC Monitor info

(my monitor isn't DDC, so I've tried en-/dis-abling it already) Actually,
I've tried a lot of things--I wish _something_ would change. I've put the
actual config files and log under this url, for any helpful souls:

   http://www.concordant-thought.com/personal/robert/relay//x-troubles

I'd appreciate any suggestions, as I kind of like using X ;)

(and maybe someone knows a way to reset the console? It's like it's half
stuck in the video mode from X. (Not using fddev, btw)).

Thanks,
Robert Braddock