voodoo3 libgl error in woody xf4

Greetings,

i have recently installed the woody xf4 debs my system with a voodoo3
card and things are working fine, except for opengl acceleration.

my kernel: 2.4.0-test10 w/ tdfx compiled into the kernel (and agppart
enabled)
vid card: voodoo3 2000 agp
mobo: asus a7v

basically, drm/dri seems to initialize fine:

(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) TDFX(0): [drm] Registers = 0xde000000
        Driver provided NonTEGlyphRenderer replacement
(0): [drm] installed DRM signal handler
(0): [DRI] installation complete

(from XFree86.log)

However, GL programs (xscreensaver hacks, etc) do not run accelerated.
I get the following results:

$ export LIBGL_DEBUG="on"
$ gears
libGL error: dlopen failed: undefined symbol:_trisetup_Default_win_nocull_valid

and glxinfo reports:
display: :0.0  screen:0
direct rendering: No

any suggestions would be _greatly_ appreciated.  i can send full
XFree86.log (though i don't think there are no EE or relavent WW lines)
or /XF86Config-4 if it'd help...

thanks in advance.

-jamie walker
walkah@mail.com