Re: occured problems on fresh 2v18 install

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 10:11:52AM +0200, Christian Hammers wrote:
> 1. /etc/X11/Xsession wasn't executable and thus the gnome display manager
>    (GDM) failed. Don't know which package to blame.

Fixed in v20, forthcoming.  Thanks for pointing this out.

> 2. When starting xf86cfg and clicking on the top bar or on monitor->configure
>    the program crashes. If I start a xterm on another text console and then
>    start xf86cfg from there (already running X) I can see an Xt error message
>    (forgot the exact phrase)

It's the old composite/simple widget resize problem.  It looks like Keith
Packard and Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade are going to lock horns over
this.  Film at 11.

> 3. My german umlauts äöüß are gone. I used the same .xmodmap but although
>    I had "/" mapped allright on the right control key, the umlauts produced
>    no char at all.
>
> 4. Configuring german keyboard layout with xf86cfg yields to no effect (I
>    restarted X, of course)

I don't know to deal with these.

> 5. There was a missing dependency to xutils and thus mkfontdir could not
>    be found.

Please read the package descriptions of the xfont-* packages.  When I
update the X task packages for woody, xutils will be depended upon and most
people won't have this problem.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |   You don't just decide to break Kubrick's
Debian GNU/Linux                |   code of silence and then get drawn away