Re: Suggestion

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 09:11:38PM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
>  For indirect rendering, the application talks to the X server via the
>  GLX protocol (there's no library talking to the hardware in this case).
>  The server decodes the GLX requests and renders them appropriately
>  (which means either via a software renderer, or a hw accelerated one).
>
>  I'm not sure about the *current* DRI implementation (which is a shame,
>  because *this* is the counter argument), but I *think* there's no hw
>  acceleration for the indirect case.  This means, the dri modules have
>  to be shipped with the X server package, not with the GL library
>  package.

There isn't, at present, any such thing as indirect renderect via a GLX
pipeline; but a few weeks ago there was a thread on one of the XFree86
mailing lists about it, and somebody knowledgeable (Mark Vojkovich, maybe)
said it shouldn't be hard to do.

The bad news is, as I recall no one seemed interested in doing it.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    I must despise the world which does not
Debian GNU/Linux                |    know that music is a higher revelation