 $ apt-cache show fttools
Package: fttools
Section: contrib/utils
Installed-Size: 88
Maintainer: ISHIKAWA Mutsumi <ishikawa@linux.or.jp>
Source: perlftlib
Version: 1.2-4
Replaces: ftinfo, mkttfdir
Depends: perl5, libft-perl, libjcode-perl
Conflicts: ftinfo, mkttfdir
Architecture: all
Size: 9256
MD5sum: 7c2338c1f9c2ed575d2951cbce2b33fd
Filename: dists/potato/contrib/binary-all/utils/fttools_1.2-4.deb
 mkttfdir utility getnerate font.dir file for TrueType font.
 ftinfo utility report TrueType font info.

In <[🔎] Pine.OSF.3.91.1001009010709.4758A-100000@bud.cc.swin.edu.au>,
  on Mon, 9 Oct 2000 01:09:32 +1100 (AEDT),
    on Re: TrueType fonts without xfstt,
 Leigh Thomas DYER <123020@bud.cc.swin.edu.au> wrote:

> When it comes to scalable fonts, mkfontdir doesn't know how to handle
> them, so all it does is copy the 'fonts.scale' file to fonts.dir - it's
> up to the user to create the fonts.scale file. However, there's utils to
> do it - there's one for Type1 fonts in Debian (can't remember the name
> sorry), and for TrueType fonts there's ttmkfdir (just search freshmeat
> for it). Maybe someone should package ttmkfdir? :)

my potato does have mkttfdir.  You can use it with xtt module, I think.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>