TrueType fonts without xfstt

Hi

I still could not figure out how to enable my TrueType fonts (borrowed
from M$ Windows) in the new X 4.0.1 (0phase2v8) without using the xfstt
daemon.

People told me that including the freetype and/or xtt module in the
XF86Config should be enough but when just including freetype it says
that there's no font.dir in the directory and mkfontdir doesn't like to
create one, and when using xtt it does not complain but gtkfontsel (and
others) still do not show up my fonts.

I also cannot find any real documentation for these both modules. Where
is it? Are there any additional options that I can include in my
XF86Config? Would upgrading to the very last phase12(?) be sufficient?

thanks,

 -christian-

--
	     Real Users never know what they want,
   but they always know when your program doesn't deliver it.