Re: X 4.0.1 package requests.

* Branden Robinson <branden@deadbeast.net> [000922 00:00]:
> In fact, first analysis leads me to believe that reserving the XFree86
> modules directory for modules shipped by XFree86 might be a good idea.
> Completely eliminates the possibility of namespace collision in the
> filesystem.

Branden, I think I agree with reserving the XFree86 lib/modules
directory for official xf86 modules. I currently use the matrox provided
mga_drv.o, and until a nice debian-x reader suggested dpkg-divert, I had
been recopying the matrox driver over the xf86 driver. It worked, but
was not optimal.

Now that I know I can give XF86Config absolute pathnames, I think I will
undo the diversion and use absolute paths; it seems much easier. :)

Although, one thing to consider: would the alternatives system better
solve the problem? (Keeping in mind that I know practically nothing of
how alternatives works, only that it exists. :)

Either way, replacing the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_drv.o file
each time I upgrade something or other is getting old; a standard way of
dealing with this would be nice, especially since those that don't know
about the absolute paths (such as myself until tonight :) would get a
big hint about it just by reading their XF86Config file. :)

Thanks Branden; I am much enjoying my Xf86 4.0. :)