Re: X 4.0.1 package requests.

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 01:52:12AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hope you don't mind if I CC my reply to the Debian X mailing list.
>
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 12:28:54AM -0700, Terence Ripperda wrote:
> > I'm from NVIDIA, working on our 2d/3d drivers. Now that there are XFree86 4.0.1
> > packages in development, I'm looking at getting some .deb packages together for
> > our drivers. I was looking at what you had so far for xfree86 and mesa/glx. I
> > had a couple of requests:
> >
> > libGLU - will you be providing the libGLU library as part of the xlibmesa
> > package, or seperately. It seems like it would be better for libGLU to be seperate
> > from libGL, sort of like libglut is, since it's not really dependent on a specific
> > version of libGL (or it shouldn't be).
>
> It is my intention to defer to the SGI OpenGL Linux ABI standard.  That
> says that two shared libraries should be provided: libGL.so.1 and
> libGLU.so.1; that XFree86 currently builds the former but not the latter is
> an issue that they are working to rectify.  Once they have done so, I will
> be shipping libGLU in the "xlibmesa3" library (and its headers and static
> vesion in "xlibmesa3-dev").
>
> There is not yet official Debian policy on this matter, but I'm starting to
> realize we need one.  I think Debian should follow the existing standard as
> drafted by SGI; any additional shared libraries not covered by that ABI should be
> shipped in separate Debian packages, so that all ABI-compliant
> implementations can Provide: the virtual package "libgl1".
>
> Brian Paul advised me to ship libOSMesa with xlibmesa, but in light of the
> fact that some GL implementations might not have that, I'm going to deviate
> just a little bit from his advice.  I will be moving this library back out
> into an "xlibosmesa" package.

what about the libGLw libraries, i take it Brian Paul also wants them to be
included in the Xfree gl libs.

About non-free driver implementation, i guess a divert or something such would
be nicest, isn't it. it would depend on the appropriate xfree packages
(xlibmesa for the GL files, xserver-xfree86 for the driver) and divert the
xfree provided GL libraries and driver, and also the kernel module, if there
is one.

How many non-free drivers packages are there, and who is willing to package
them ? I know of drivers from NVIDIA, as well as matrox, but the later are
being folded back into Xfree. There is ATI also, i guess.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER