Re: sessreg in /etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 05:23:19PM +0200, Hervé Eychenne wrote:
> I'm in touch with Guillaume Morin <gemorin@debian.org> in order to package
> one of my application for Debian, called ulog. FYI, it intends to be the
> distributed equivalent of utmp/wtmp for X-window.

Just FYI, the proper name is the "X Window System".  Simply "X" can be used
for short.

> So I'll have to add an entry to /etc/X11/xdm/xdm.options, called "use-ulog".
> As the xdm package maintainer, I suppose I have to ask you if you would mind
> adding this entry in you package and what is the exact procedure.

I'm not sure it is necessary to add options to xdm.options to accomplish
what you have in mind.  I need to know nore about ulog first.  Please
consider describing it to the debian-devel mailing list.

> To the clean way to do things is to add an entry similar to the one in
> /etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup:
>
> # insert a utmp entry for the session
> if grep -qs ^use-sessreg /etc/X11/xdm/xdm.options; then
>   exec sessreg -a -l $DISPLAY -u /var/run/utmp -x /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
> $USER
>   # NOTREACHED
> fi
>
> But why did you put an exec ? It prevents from simply adding my stuff
> before the "exit 0"... Does sessreg _have_ to be the last action done by
> this file, or is it just an optimisation ?

I added the exec in response to an old, old bug report (#20941) which has
now expired from the bug database.  Sorry, I don't remember the rationale.
I seem to remember it had something to with process ID's, but I'm pretty
foggy after all this time; I made this change about 2.5 years ago.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    Reality is what refuses to go away when
Debian GNU/Linux               |    I stop believing in it.