Re: xfree86-common_4.0.1-0phase2v4_all.deb

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 05:57:51PM -0400, mtoups@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:
> FWIW, I've been using the phase1 debs of X4.0.1 with the 0.9.4 NVidia
> drivers on a GeForce2, and haven't had any sig11's -- but the server hangs
> (and the displacy is garbled, have to reboot blindly) if the line
> #    Load       "glx"
> is uncommented in XF86Config (ie, no quake3).
>
> I've had everything work flawlessly with this setup (phase1 debs, 0.9.4
> NVidia drivers) on a PCI TNT card, though.  Quake3 ran decently on a
> k6-300 with this card.
>
> I'll upgrade to phase2 and 0.9.5 once my bandwidth allows me to, and see
> if the GLX problem persists.

the GLX problem has nothing to do with the debian packaging, I had issues
with it when using XFree's binary release for testing (though I think it
didn't crop up until the 4.0.1 release IIRC)..  the problem comes into play
because you're only specifying "glx", and in the directory is the "libglx.a"
installed by the regular XFree things, and also the "libglx.so" symlink to
the library NVidia provides.  Care to guess which one it chooses by default?
;)  here's what I've been using in my XF86Config file and everything
functions normally (just updated to the 0.9-5 release the other day, no
issues for my setup, which is just a TNT2 btw):

    Load       "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"

Marc