re: xfree86-common_4.0.1-0phase2v4_all.deb

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000 20:57:16 -0700, Josh Carroll <jkc120@home.com> wrote:

> I just recently updated to the phase2 debs (version4), and all I get is
> sig11 constantly, at random times. Sometimes as soon as I start X,
> sometimes no for almost an hour. It varies, but it NEVER stays resident
> more than an hour or two. This is really annoying, and I'm not sure what
> the problem is. I'm using the GeForce2 with the latest Nvidia drivers
> (0.9.5). I've attached the log from XFree.

FWIW, I've been using the phase1 debs of X4.0.1 with the 0.9.4 NVidia
drivers on a GeForce2, and haven't had any sig11's -- but the server hangs
(and the displacy is garbled, have to reboot blindly) if the line
#    Load       "glx"
is uncommented in XF86Config (ie, no quake3).

I've had everything work flawlessly with this setup (phase1 debs, 0.9.4
NVidia drivers) on a PCI TNT card, though.  Quake3 ran decently on a
k6-300 with this card.

I'll upgrade to phase2 and 0.9.5 once my bandwidth allows me to, and see
if the GLX problem persists.

Matt Toups