Re: Houston, there's a problem

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 12:16:21PM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:
>
>  > Your expectations are way too high.  You need to remember that phase2 is
>  > just a milestone.
>
>  /me looks puzzled.

See below.

>  > On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 09:38:54AM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
>
>  > >  attached is the typescript for the 3.3.6 -> v18 upgrade.  Unpacking
>  > >  works.  Yeah.
>  >
>  > Is this sarcastic?  Did unpacking work or not?
>
>  oh.  sorry.  s/\.$/!!! Hurray!!! Go, go, go!!!/
>
>  (no, really, chill up Branden, sorry if I sounded
>  sarcastic/aggressive/whatver, that was meant to be cheerful, honest)

Okay, cool.

>  > >  my best guess would be to fix the 3.3.6 servers to look in
>  > >  /etc/X11/XF86Config.  Am I missing something obvious here?
>  >
>  > What does /etc/X11/Xserver say?
>
>  It points to the XF86_SVGA server.  But /usr/X11R6/lib/XF86Config ->
>  /etc/X11/XF86Config link is gone after all the unpacking and
>  installation is done.

Yes, because that symlink isn't needed for XFree86 4.x.  We can either hack
the 3.x server packages too look in the right place, or have the packages
install this symlink.

>  > >  Trying to log in:
>  >
>  > Where from?  console?  xdm?  I thought you said you couldn't get xdm to
>  > run.
>
>  Ah, sorry, my bad.  xdm will start either after putting the symlink in
>  place or installing xserver-xfree86.

I just turned on the PAM support.  I don't really know yet how well it
works.  Your data point is not very promising.

>                    Marcelo,
>                    who thinks he obviously misunderstood what phase2 is.

You could read my definition of it, which has been around for months:

Phase 2) This phase will occur once I've settled upon a package arrangement
and have worked out what I think the most critical issues are going to be,
I'll expand my testing model a little bit.  I won't release to unstable,
but I'll make my test packages APT-able.  My target audience for this phase
is people who aren't going to panic if things break or work funny.  Again,
since these won't be official releases, bug reports filed with the Debian
Bug Tracking System against these packages will be closed immediately and
without comment.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |
Debian GNU/Linux                |   If God had intended for man to go about