Re: 3.3.5Za version and apt?

On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 11:06:18PM -0800, Mark Montague wrote:
> I'm trying to use apt to upgrade X, and it looks like the new 3.3.5Za
> version seems older than 3.3.5f, probably because apt uses
> asciibetical order (?).

Yes, that is why.  For now you have to --force-downgrade, as bizarre as
that sounds.

Right now I am trying to solve the problem of 3.3.5Za not building on
SPARC.  Once I've solved that, if 3.3.6 isn't out, I'll rebuild 3.3.5Za for
all the arches I can and mangle the versioning so dpkg is not fooled.

> Also, as long as I'm mentioning, the APT example line needs a / at the
> end for some reason; otherwise apt-get gives a cryptic error
> message... I'm using
>
> deb http://samosa.debian.org/%7Ebranden/ potato/i386/

Hmm, let me check that out.  Probably just a typo/thinko on my part.

> Thanks for keeping so current on the 3.3.5 series, Branden. Is there
> anyone working on debs for the 3.9s right now? I've thought about it,
> but I got bogged down in figuring out which debianizing patches still
> apply to 3.9...

I have not even downloaded any 3.9 sources.  If somebody wants to work on
Debianizing 3.9 that would be great.

BTW, I notice that I again didn't announce the new .debs to this list.
Sorry.  Long story short, the latest pre-release version of 3.3.6 is now
available for alpha and i386.  Hopefully SPARC soon.  More details are at
<http://www.debian.org/~branden/>.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |     If a man ate a pound of pasta and a
Debian GNU/Linux               |     pound of antipasto, would they cancel