Debian home page: Cleaning up the "Getting Started" paragraph

Package: www.debian.org

Hi,

I've come across the email from Thomas (https://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2019/02/msg00070.html) speaking about cleaning up Debian's home page and quickly had a look at the video linked.

I must say that I share Keith and Thomas' concerns about the organisation of the information on Debian's website.

I'm using Debian for almost 20 years (I think Woody was the first release I've used. Though it might be Potato) and have always been held back from development/package management by the difficulties to get clear information how to create and maintain packages.

Well, that's not exactly true, I've recently been admitted as guest in the Perl Maintainers group thanks to a common interest with yadd@debian.org about the OCS Inventory software.

Anyway, as I'm currently trying to get more knowledge about Debian's package management system, I'm again facing the same difficulties to get clear information.

That's in this context, looking for development/package management documentation, that I've come across https://www.debian.org/ and thought:

* Wow, that's a confusing page: There's a "Getting Started" paragraph, but there's nothing about getting started with development in there.
* Maybe in the "documentation" link?...
* Wow, that's even more confusing...
* Hey, but there's this upper menu with a "Developer's Corner" entry!? Let's have a look... * Wow, there are a lot of things here. A lot of things I already know but maybe also others...

That's to say, I'm lost in information again :-(

Here's some observations and proposals for you to improve this homepage:

1. I didn't even looked at all the links organized as a table at the top of the page; There are far too much links there imho 2. I think the upper menu bar (the one with the links "About Debian", "Getting Debian", "Support",...) is very good and I think the "Getting Started" paragraph might easily be entirely replaced by this menu bar. The "Getting Started" paragraph only adds the following links: 2.1 "installation instructions": Imho it is not needed as these installation instructions can easily be found in the page linked by the "Getting Debian" menu bar entry 2.2 "Release Notes": I think adding the release notes in the page linked by the "Getting Debian" menu bar entry could be a good enough solution
   2.3 "Documentation": This link should be added in the upper menu bar
2.4 "International": No idea but it could be moved in another paragraph
   2.5 "Ports": No idea but it could be moved in another paragraph
3. In the end, the "Getting Started" paragraph would simply instruct the readers to use the upper menu bar for anything related to "Getting started".

Best regards,

Cyrille