Re: Mistake on https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 8:27 PM, Jonny Grant wrote:

> Could it simply follow the accepted modern convention in a text box?
>
> sudo apt-get install reportbug
> reportbug

I believe what I have done is better for several reasons:

Modern desktops de-emphasise the command-line and many users probably
have never heard of the command-line.

Modern desktops include menu systems that are more user friendly than
the command-line.

Modern desktops include graphical package managers that are more user
friendly than the command-line.

Modern desktops de-emphasise using sudo to run commands as root.

For a given user, there is no way to tell which desktop they are
running, which package manager is available and preferred and which
run-as-root method is available or preferred. So, we can't hard-code
command-line, sudo or apt-get on the page.

Once there is a user-friendly page about installing packages using the
various mechanisms available, then we could link to that.

PS: for users/sysadmins, apt-get is deprecated in favour of apt.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise