Re: have new packages listed on the debian landing page

Hi Shirish

El 06/05/17 a las 22:32, shirish शिरीष escribió:
[...]

>> We intent to publish a DPN in May, so you can download the WIP file:
>>
>> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/publicity/dpn.git/tree/en/2017/02/index.wml
>>

> I dunno wml or even how to parse wml files .

wml is basically html+scripts (in Perl).

For our case, the paragraph about "New and noteworthy packages" is in
plain html. See, for example:

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/publicity/dpn.git/tree/en/2015/04/index.wml

(search for "noteworthy") to see the format.

But even if you send the info in plain text, I can do the formatting
for the first issues, no problem.

I am hoping that our
> current browsers, i.e. firefox or/and chromum are good enough to see
> wml, am less sure how to generate those pages. I did have a look at
> the wiki page but couldn't find any content about wml except a page
> which was in Romania
> https://wiki.debian.org/ro/L10n/Romanian/Webwml which probably talks
> about the same thing (but in Romania :( )

The wml files are copied from the publicity repository to the Debian
website repository prior to publishing. Once the wml file is its
correct folder, typing "make" in a terminal will create the HTML files
corresponding to the wml files in that folder.

So, think of wml as "source code", and the "HTML files" as our
"compiled code", that is understandable for the web browser.

All this is explained in this section of the website:
https://www.debian.org/devel/website/

But believe me, you don't need to read all those documents in order to
contribute to the DPN.

Just writing the corresponding paragraph, in plain text or HTML, and
sending it to the debian-publicity@lists.debian.org is enough to start.

Cheers
--
Laura Arjona Reina