Re: Let's stop using CVS for debian.org website

Quoting Holger Levsen (2016-11-24 10:43:40)
> As some people fear the size of the git repo, I've done a test:
>
> cloning took 5-6min (granted over a fast network connection) and requires
> 628mb of diskspace in the end.
>
> however, cloning using --depth 1 did not work :(
>
> $ git clone --depth 1 https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/webwml/webwml2git.git
> Cloning into 'webwml2git'...
> fatal: protocol error: bad pack header
>
> however if I clone locally (well using file://…) with --depth 1 I can
> see that it needs 454mb diskspace.
>
> Not too bad IMO.

Interesting data points.

Can you get these related data points too? - relevant for those with
limited internet bandwidth (as is the case for some translators):

  * amount of data transfered over the wire for initial full git clone
  * amount of data transfered over the wire for shallow git clone
  * amount of data transfered over the wire for CVS clone
  * disk space used for CVS clone

Should be possible to get the git data by cloning from yourself via
localhost: URL (to ensure that git does not use hardlink optimixations).

 - Jonas