Re: Let's stop using CVS for debian.org website

在 2016年11月24日星期四 SGT 上午9:43:40,Holger Levsen 写道:
> however, cloning using --depth 1 did not work :(
>
> $ git clone --depth 1 https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/webwml/webwml2git.git
> Cloning into 'webwml2git'...
> fatal: protocol error: bad pack header

That's interesting. I tried to dig into the problem but yet to find its origin:

* Git shallow clone was quite limited before v1.9. On Alioth we have git
v1.9.1, however.
* Any shallow clone via cgit would fail (e.g. using anonscm.d.o/{cgit,git}/).
* Shallow cloning via SSH (alioth account) would *fail* if the user does not
have write permission into the repository. If the user has write permission
then everything would be OK:

    % LC_ALL=C git clone --depth 1 git+ssh://hosiet-guest@git.debian.org:/git/
webwml/webwml2git.git/
    Cloning into 'webwml2git'...
    fatal: Unable to create temporary file '/srv/git.debian.org/git/webwml/
webwml2git.git/shallow_DrNR7B': Permission denied
    fatal: early EOF
    fatal: index-pack failed

    % LC_ALL=C git clone --depth 1 git+ssh://hosiet-guest@git.debian.org:/git/
collab-maint/shadowsocks-libev.git/
    Cloning into 'shadowsocks-libev'...
    remote: Counting objects: 124, done.
    Receiving objects: 100% (124/124), 206.81 KiB | 36.00 KiB/s, done.
    Resolving deltas: 100% (25/25), done.

( In the example, I am one of the uploaders of the latter package but I don't
have write permission to webwml).

Really interesting. Seems that shallow cloning would create a temp file inside
the repository. For GitHub they handled it properly, and on Alioth the strict
repo owner limitation made it impossible.

--
Sincerely,
Boyuan Yang