Re: Keeping your Debian system secure =>why non-free

On Wed, September 10, 2014 22:27, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
>> > I'm adding debian-www (contact point for all web pages) to CC: so they
>> > can get a look.
>>
>> This section is handled by the security team (people in the team have
>> commit access), but if they feel the need to let someone else fix stuff
>> on their behalf, theyâ??re welcome to provide explicit guidance of what
>> is
>> to fix, and how.
>
> Is there anything else than CVS available in order to provide a patch? I
> think removing the "contrib non-free" part would be ok (and maybe add
> them to the security FAQ so people actually interested by those suites
> can add the information themselves, although I'm unsure what does the
> installer do right now).
>
> Team, what do you think?

I think the original claim that this "recommends" or advocates non-free is
firmly overstating things. The line just documents how you can use
security updates and shows the suites that are available. If you don't
want some of those suites it's trivial to leave them off.

Seems like a non-issue to me. Has this actually caused a problem for someone?

Cheers,
Thijs