Re: Summary from the debian www/wiki BoF at DC14

Hi everybody

El 18/09/14 a las #4, Don Armstrong escribió:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2014, Paul Wise wrote:
>> The other main issue is people wanting partial checkouts.
>>
>> https://wiki.debian.org/WebsiteVCSEvaluation
> [...]
> Can anyone who currently uses partial checkouts comment whether a 500M
> one time checkout would be a burden? [Is this just a matter of better
> tools for people doing translations?]

I was using partial checkouts when starting to commit translations, I
was comfortable that I couldn't (unintendedly) change other languages
since they were not in my local copy.
But since some months, I use a complete checkout. Anyway, if this is the
reason for anybody else, git solves it too, since commits are in the
local copy and you can double check before pushing, or you can just make
a branch to work on your changes, etc.

A plus of git, IMHO, is its ability to assign an author different than
the committer: this is great to credit non-committing translators or
editors, people sending patches in bug reports, etc. That could be
easily tracked to be uploaded to contributors.debian.org, for example.

Reviewing the page: https://wiki.debian.org/WebsiteVCSEvaluation , it
says something about revision numbers changing to use sha1. If this is a
problem or complicated to implement, I think we could just set a header
in English files too, and the people committing in the English files
could increase the version number manually, the same as translators do.
Or maybe when committing in English folder a script can be triggered to
automatically bump the version number.

My two cents.

--
Laura Arjona