Re: Instructions about ports on the front page

Le Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 10:37:43AM +0200, Holger Wansing a écrit :
> David Prévot <taffit@debian.org> wrote:
> > Le 07/09/2013 21:05, Charles Plessy a écrit :
> >
> > > I note that the front page contains the following:
> > >
> > >     People who use systems other than Intel x86 should check the ports section.
> > >
> > > How about replacing it by the following:
> >
> > How about simply deleting it? The port section may not be the best entry
> > point for users, especially those who are seeking for an installation media.
>
> Then it would be senseful instead, to add a hint to the ports page on the
> distrib section? (distrib would be the section, where people will most likely
> go from the front page when preparing for an installation)
> On http://www.debian.org/distrib/, there are direct download links for
> i386 and amd64. But nothing about other archs.

Hi Holger,

Given the structure of /distrib, I think that it would not be a good idea: the
/ports page does not contain direct links for installation on non-PC
architectures, while the page /distrib/netinst proeminently linked from
/distrib ("Download an installation image") does.  The result would be to
divert people looking for non-PC images into the wrong page.

Given that the front page already contains another link to the /ports page, I
agree with David that the simplest would be to delete the entry in the "Getting
Started" section.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy