Re: playing a bit with CSS

Hi,

On Thu May 09, 2013 at 10:14:33 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> Some thoughts:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~zobel/foo/
> http://www.debian.org.ro/uploads/victor/d-o/
>
> I like the menu idea, but not the duplication with the existing
> navigation links in the top bar.

Agreed. It was just a PoC how we could use CSS to produce nice drop-down
menus.

> http://www.debian.org.ro/uploads/victor/d-o/index2.html
>
> This one solves the duplication issue and looks pretty good. Would the
> plan be to include the image on every page? I'd suggest just the front
> page so we don't waste too much vertical space. The search box is
> missing at the moment. It also duplicates the links after the two
> intro paragraphs.

Well, i think the idea is to get rid of exactly this link list, as soon
as we have everything moved into the top menu. One problem i see is that
the top menu might become a bit too crowed, so we might want to think
about consolidating menu items.

> There is no sync mechanism between the website CSS and that of the
> wiki or other sites using the Debian theme so if we are changing the
> CSS we should solve this issue first in my opinion.

Paul, this was only a PoC. At least I have not yet thought about any
integration other debian web pages. Yes, we should think about it, but
really on this early stage? In my opinion we should work out other
changes we want to see.

He some of my upcoming ideas for the start page:
* Make the page less 'static'. What do i mean with that? I would like to
  see more content changes on the start page, to make it more
  attractive to visit it. We could for exaple have some sort of
  'featured article', where you could read the first two or three
  paragraphs. Other idea is also to include upcoming events into the
  start page.
* I like the idea of the grid system of the Twitter bootstrap layout[1].
  Maybe we could use some sort of that to group our content together on
  the start page. If you look at other OSS websites like [2] or [3],
  it works perfectly there, even without using bootstrap CSS.

[1] http://twitter.github.io/bootstrap/scaffolding.html#gridSystem
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/
[3] http://www.postgresql.org/

Cheers,
Martin
--
 Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@debian.org>    Debian System Administrator
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer                       Debian Listmaster