Re: Question wrt wiki.debian.org

Hi,

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 09:39:34PM +1000, Geoff Simmons wrote:
> [I'm subscribed to the list, no need to CC, thanks]
> Owing to sudo not being enabled by default, I've previously de-sudoified
> a few pages, ar5523[1] being the most recent.
> With respect to most WiFi-related procedural pages, use of $ and # to
> indicate commands requiring execution as non-root/root have been used.

Quite frankly, use of "$ sudo ..." or "# ..." is mostly aesthetic issue.
Sometimes, practical difference of usage affects this since
simpler-the-better.   I do not think we need to be over zealous about
it.

Whoever use Debian system should be aware of this typical usage case of
sudo if he is the owner of account which has root access.

I use "$ sudo ..." when command is single command without redirecting like:

 $ sudo pbuilder update && pdebuild

This is better than:
 $ su
 # pbuilder update
 # exit
 $ pdebuild

But when I need to create a file /etc/bar owned by root, I do:

 # echo "foo" >/etc/bar

I see no issue having them in our pages.  I mix them freely in Debian
reference.  In order to prevent novice user getting confused, having
pointer page may be useful.  For Debian Reference, I do following to
indicate $ vs. #:

 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/pr01.en.html#_conventions

But this does not prevent me using "$ sudo ...".  I make sure people to
know this sudo basics by:

 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch01.en.html#_sudo_configuration

Osamu