Re: Question wrt wiki.debian.org

On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 02:57 +0200, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was taking a look at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPackageManagement
and noticed that something was
> incorrect.
> From the "Package Management with apt-get and dpkg"-section:
> "To fetch the new lists of all the packages from sources.list enter as
the Root User

> sudo aptitude update"

Since sudo isn't configured by default in Debian, we don't use it the
examples.

> That statement in itself is incorrect. When logged on as root, you don't
use sudo.

Correct, "sudo" should be removed from the command.

> But apparently more and more ppl are using sudo for package management
task and I don't know if
> that's now the default/recommended way in Debian. (personally I think
sudo is misused a lot).

As I mentioned, sudo isn't configured at all by default.

> So what's the best way to go about this?
> - remove 'sudo' so that the above statement is correct (assuming the
reader saw the 'Root User'
> part)

Yes

> - prefix commands with $ or # depending on what rights are required

No one ever worked on standardizing this is the wiki, your help is welcome
if you are interested/motivated.

> PS2: Is this the recommended way to discuss wiki related issues?

You have two option:
- use this mailing list
- use a Discussion sub page (like wiki.debian.org/sudo/Discussion).

the mailing list is my preferred option (because it is easy to read,
reply, follow threads... and it is archived [by date]).

Regards,

Franklin