Re: Question wrt wiki.debian.org

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 01:54 +0200, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 May 2010 01:24:19 Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> > [Hi Geoff, I'm CC'ing you because I am interested in your POV]
> >
> > On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 20:04 +0200, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> > > Apart from that, should the possibility of using sudo be mentioned?
> >
> > Well, on one side, sudo isn't enabled. On the other hand, sudo should be
> > configured in large organization...
> >
> > my *own* opinion is/was that we should link to the "root" page,
> > typically using a statement like: "Execute this command as [[root]]".
> > The "root" page explains how to execute a command as Root in Debian (in
> > Gnome, KDE, Desktop, Server... the page can still be improved).
>
> I like the idea of linking to the root page ...
>
> > > If yes, what would be a proper way to go about that?

> > > Is there already a page which describes the difference between $ and #,
> > > so there could be link to
> >
> > There isn't such page. There used to be a CommandPrompt page[1], but it
> > was dropped because it's quality was pretty low, compared to any
> > bash/shell howto. The question is... who would actually read a page
> > explaining the difference between $ and # ;)
>
> A separate page about $ vs # doesn't seem all that useful indeed.
> But we could add that info to the root page, since switching to root would also change the prompt.
> And on the root page we could also mention that a non-root user could perform those tasks/commands
> by using sudo, which will be a link to the sudo page describing how to set it up, when to use it,
> etc.
> That way on any given page (with a link to the root page) users can click through to sudo if that's
> what they prefer/need to use.

Agreed

> btw: the Root page surely needs some loving, it links to a German and a French page of an obsolete
> version of the Debian Reference, as well as non-existing man pages (instead of wiki pages)

I often advocate to use existing documentation, rather that rewriting
wiki page (with basically the same content).
I get touch with manpages.debian.net, to tell him manpages.d.net is
broken.

> and I don't think the following line is 'preferred', since it indicates a preference to sudo:
> "However, it's recommended to configure and use sudo (or gksudo) to run a given command."

sudo isn't configured by default, but it is the recommended way to
execute a command as root (1. to avoid mistake by not running all
command as root.  2. because sudo is auditable. 3. because a sudoers
don't need to know root's password). I have added this rational to the
wiki page.

You are welcome to improve the Root and sudo pages (and other wiki
pages;)

Regards,

Franklin