Re: logo license with debian - no warranty missing?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 14:29:48 +0200 Gerfried Fuchs wrote:

> 	Hi!

Hello!

>  On #debian-www "will" raised concerns that there might be issues with
> respect to our logo license for including the debian lettering. It
> doesn't contain a warranty waiver,

If I understand correctly, the concern is about the Debian Open Use
Logo with the “Debian” text [1].
This logo is still non-free according to the DFSG, as explained in the
logos page [2], and indeed it seems that no disclaimer of warranty is
present in its license.

[1] for instance  http://www.debian.org/logos/openlogo-100.png
[2] http://www.debian.org/logos/

> and given that we publish svg images
> which could contain potential harmful scripting (from will's
> interpretation, not sure if that actually is possible or if there is
> some sandbox involved?) this might be considered an issue.
>
>  Is this something we should change? Not worry about? "Much Ado Nothing"?

I have expressed my own personal disappointment with the Debian logos
situation for a long time. The first time I can remember is on July
2004 [3].

[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/07/msg00208.html

AFAICT, the last time this issue was (briefly) discussed on
debian-legal is on March 2010, in a 3-message thread [4] that left my
questions unanswered, as has happened in other cases about the same
topic...

[4] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2010/03/msg00005.html

I don't know whether the lack of warranty disclaimer should be
considered as a serious problem or a minor issue, but I am not
satisfied [5] with the current licensing of Debian logos (three of them
are non-free, and only one is DFSG-free).

[5] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2008/11/msg00048.html

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/progs/scripts/pdebuild-hooks.html
 Need some pdebuild hook scripts?