Re: Debian Wiki: renaming pages

>> You've deleted :,[:pl/Manual-Howto:Polski] and added
>> [:Français/Manual-Howto:Polski].
>>
>> I've reverted your change right now, so we are good on that page.
>
> Thank you.
> (But actually, the page doesn't exists, so we should drop the link!)

(page that you have deleted, FYI.)
 I'll move the "polish translation" of that page to debian wiki from
http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/FrontPagePolish to
http://wiki.debian.org/pl/Manual-Howto  if that is the structure of
translated pages you guys prefer.

>> > Linking among translated pages is really the smallest issue we have.
>> > Some of our needs are:
>> > 1. Migrate important (static) pages to the www.d.o, then translate them.
>> > 2. Use an efficient tools that allow translators to track what was
>> >   changed and what translation needs to be updated (which page, which
>> >   paragraph =>  What was the previous text, whats the new text, what
>> >   was the old translation.. see poedit)
>> > 3. Implement a mean to automatically disable a translation if it is
>> >   lagging too much.
>> > 4. Proper (i.e automatic) content negotiation, so the best alternatives
>> >   is presented to the user.
>> >   (which would probably solve the linking issue)
>> >
>> > Since many (most?) pages are translated in very few languages, I would
>> > rather maintain links manually, rather that having one more transition
>> > to manage... while migrating to a new moin version  (And trying to solve
>> > the issue properly at the same time).
>> >
>> > Also, the [[Include()]] macros adds complexity to the wiki pages, which
>> > makes it less accessible to contributors.
>>
>> I on the other hand believe that using include allows me to create a
>> page that has more relevant content then providing links to 30 other
>> pages.
>> I could create a page for sys admins and include various pages and
>> create one place to get all the information, just like Debian
>> reference did. I could pull individual "ftp server", "ssh
>> server"..etc.. Who ever would be looking for one big sys admin
>> instructions could print this page. If you say that include should not
>> be used then that person would have to print each section on its own.
>
> I don't say that [Include()] shouldn't ever used, (I actually pushed to
> use it in xx/WiFi pages. We might use it in the FrontPageV3).
> However, in this situation, let's wait for moinmoin 1.8 and FrontPageV3
> to know what we can do about translation.
>
> Lucasz, You mean that you want to aggregate multiple pages into a single
> [PDF] PDF file for offline viewing/printing, ok.
> It doesn't means that there needs to be a actual wiki page with that
> content (exporting selected pages to docbook, then merge them)

PDF is just an option. I wanted to create a wiki page that has as much
content as possible. If somebody wants to generate a pdf they can use
"export docbook" and then convert that to pdf (dblatex -T simple -o
WikiSandBox.pdf WikiSandBox.xml
) Merging docbooks is not that easy.

I wanted to create a Debian business server page that would includes
all available information on setting up debian server in business
environment. (samba ldap, sftp, ftp, ldap addressbook, faxserver,
bacula backup, vmware, etc )
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianBusinessServer

I think there is some content that is more presentable/useful as one
combined page then 50 separate wiki link pages. I wanted to do that
with "Debian server for business" but you keep reverting my include
changes.

I think the job you do with making sure all the content is in sync is
great. I've seen all the deleted content you have deleted  and I think
on some pages it was needed. On the other hand whenever I want to
update some page or work on a page by changing it slowly day by day,
it seems you keep reverting my changes before I was able to finish and
provide meaningful content.

Not sure if this is a right thread for that, but where can I create a
page that has as many include as I need, without it being reverted?

Should I use:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianBusinessServer
or should I move it to:
http://wiki.debian.org/LukaszSzybalski/DebianBusinessServer

I think it would be nice to have "maintainer: username" on a page that
somebody wants to maintain, and let that user delete content as needed
instead of reverting changes in a global manner. What do you guys
think? I would like to maintain and add content to
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianBusinessServer but I can't do that if
randomly my additions get reverted.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianBusinessServer?action=info

Thank you,