Re: Debian Wiki: renaming pages

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote:
> [CC'ing debian-www, I hope you don't mind]
>
> On Sat, 2009-02-21 at 18:56 +0100, rupert THURNER wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 23:41, Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote:
>> >
>> > Please don't use the "Include" feature for list of languages (like
>> > EeePC/Langs).
>>
>> any special reason for this? it would be easy to have one-stop fixes
>> for problems/missing translations.
>>
>> pls check out http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIntroduction and
>> http://wiki.debian.org/de/DebianIntroduction. one has 11 translations,
>> the other 8. it is completely inconsistent.
>>
>> or take http://wiki.debian.org/fr/Manual-Howto where one transaltion
>> is called "polski", pointing to a link "francais".

I'm not sure how said the above, but records show that Frank Piat has
changed the link to point to the wrong page.
http://wiki.debian.org/fr/Manual-Howto?action=diff&rev2=18&rev1=17

You've deleted :,[:pl/Manual-Howto:Polski] and added
[:Français/Manual-Howto:Polski].

I've reverted your change right now, so we are good on that page.

> Linking among translated pages is really the smallest issue we have.
> Some of our needs are:
> 1. Migrate important (static) pages to the www.d.o, then translate them.
> 2. Use an efficient tools that allow translators to track what was
>   changed and what translation needs to be updated (which page, which
>   paragraph =>  What was the previous text, whats the new text, what
>   was the old translation.. see poedit)
> 3. Implement a mean to automatically disable a translation if it is
>   lagging too much.
> 4. Proper (i.e automatic) content negotiation, so the best alternatives
>   is presented to the user.
>   (which would probably solve the linking issue)
>
> Since many (most?) pages are translated in very few languages, I would
> rather maintain links manually, rather that having one more transition
> to manage... while migrating to a new moin version  (And trying to solve
> the issue properly at the same time).
>
> Also, the [[Include()]] macros adds complexity to the wiki pages, which
> makes it less accessible to contributors.

I on the other hand believe that using include allows me to create a
page that has more relevant content then providing links to 30 other
pages.
I could create a page for sys admins and include various pages and
create one place to get all the information, just like Debian
reference did. I could pull individual "ftp server", "ssh
server"..etc.. Who ever would be looking for one big sys admin
instructions could print this page. If you say that include should not
be used then that person would have to print each section on its own.
I think the include feature is great and allows one person to provide
better documentation, while allows each piece to be maintained by
someone else. Include show be allowed and recommended on some pages.

Thanks,
Lucas