Re: webwml in git?

* Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> [2008-09-15 23:04:11 CEST]:
> * Gerfried Fuchs:
> >  The increase in diskspace was far less than what I expected. Please
> > keep in mind that some years ago there were some binary data
> > incorporated that were stripped off later again because of people
> > complaining about their size - those are also included in here.
>
> What happens if you exclude this data?

 I don't know exactly when this was and where. I believe it was
somewhere below the events pages but I can be wrong about that. Didn't
try to dig it up and restart the whole thing - like written, it took me
almost three days of (non-constant) running git-cvsimport.

> Are there any ChangeLog-style files in the repository?

 What do you mean? I'm sorry and don't get your question. Feel free to
dig around <http://git.debian.org/?p=users/alfie/webwml.git;a=summary>
to find out yourself, or pretty please be a bit more verbose on what you
want.

> I think initial clone times/bandwidth requirements can be totally
> ignored, especially when it comes to translations.

 To some degree yes. It should be obvious to everyone involved that a
conversion to a new VCS will require a new checkout and can't be done by
some local conversion magic, and that this new initial checkout requires
some bandwidth and time. And there is still the option that submodules
might help translators disk space, but I'd like to know first how many
would really need that because I don't think that we should waste effort
on stuff that won't get used in the end. Furthermore, all the scripts
that are currently lying around in the root directory would propably
need to get moved to a subdirectory when using submodules so that people
can check them out, too?

 So long,
Rhonda