Re: webwml in git?

* Gerfried Fuchs:

>> What happens if you exclude this data?
>
>  I don't know exactly when this was and where. I believe it was
> somewhere below the events pages but I can be wrong about that. Didn't
> try to dig it up and restart the whole thing - like written, it took me
> almost three days of (non-constant) running git-cvsimport.

Okay, I will look for large files.

>> Are there any ChangeLog-style files in the repository?
>
>  What do you mean? I'm sorry and don't get your question.

A ChangeLog-style file is a large file which is edited in basically
every commit.  GIT handles them somewhat poorly.  They tend to have a
history overhead which is disproportionate to their actual information
content (except when you use RCS/CVS without branching).

>> I think initial clone times/bandwidth requirements can be totally
>> ignored, especially when it comes to translations.
>
>  To some degree yes. It should be obvious to everyone involved that a
> conversion to a new VCS will require a new checkout and can't be done by
> some local conversion magic, and that this new initial checkout requires
> some bandwidth and time.

It seems that the initial checkout bandwidth is around 150 MB for GIT,
and 35 MB for CVS.  CVS looks even better in comparison if it is
feasible to use a submodule (I failed at trying that).  For me, the 150
MB aren't a problem, but I'm not sure if my connectivity is
representative.  The overhead is incurred only once, too.

I'm not concerned about hard disk space.

(BTW, if we ever want a system which differentiates between production
and beta, a changeset-based system is probably not the best choice
because for web sites, it's common to copy select stuff from the beta
view to the production view, instead of merging histories.)