Re: Debian Wiki: License & Helping with transition

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:07:00 +0200
Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> It's probably a wrong example :
> * The wiki already have such pages (see InstallingDebianOn).
> * We (you, me and the users) don't want to have multiples page on
>   the wiki to report hardware howtos.
> * Those pages are very different from a concept of "manual".
> * Those pages are probably very generic for Debian, and they shouldn't
>   be located within your subpages, IMHO.

You're right.  I've not organized myself on this topic yet; the most
important thing I want is a getting started manual; the other stuff is
secondary and already there besides.

> Another question is : do you want to write a manual or a wiki ?

Definitely a manual, which I'm thinking should be written in
DocBook, and have a way for users to add comments (probably separate
forums or wiki pages hosted by myself).

> > Most of what goes in the manual will not be specific to my project
> > although some of the desktop stuff will be XFCE-specific (and I'm
> > hoping someone else will do Gnome and KDE bits so the manual
> > becomes a point of reference for most end-users).
>
> ?!@?#?!!
>
> You should get in touch with Osamu Aoki (the maintainer of
> DebianReference) and talk with him to understand why DR isn't a
> regular user guide.

Definitely will do.  I guess I assumed that it just wasn't what was
wanted for Debian.

> If I could give you one advice... You should define what you exactly
> want to cover in your book, then evaluate how much time you can
> afford.

Well, the initial release won't be that big, but I'm planning, over
time (and I'm planning on spending significant time on this over the
next six months) I'm hoping to greatly enhance the end-user
documentation in Debian.  For applications I'm thinking the best thing
to do is to make sure there is a documentation browser and put the docs
in scrollkeeper as docbook.

So really most of what I want isn't really suitable for wiki after all,
except hopefully that there will be comments, grammar correction,
rewording for clarity, suggestions and such which probably would be
best don on the wiki.

> Docbook allow variable substitution (useful for derivatives).

Cool. That I didn't know.

> Actually, you might want to see if you can reuse [patch] an existing
> documentation.

If I can find something, that would probably best (save me work
anyway).  I've started perusing the list of Debian Books to see if any
of them are suitably licensed / source code available.

> P.S. You may feel that some of my answers are a bit negative... It's
> just that I'm pointing to where others have failed in the past.

Actually I appreciate it.  I'm still mostly at the vague, I need a
desktop / end-user guide stage and this has helped clarify what I need
to think about.  This coming week actually...

Regards,

Daniel

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore