Re: Debian Wiki: License & Helping with transition

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 18:34 -0400, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 09:02:43 +0200
> Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> > So to make it short : You can create a "book" on our wiki, with a
> > specific license. Also, you are welcome to review the page [3] and
> > [4].
>
> Is there anyway to make sub-pages also automatically have the
> appropriate copyright? It's going to be a pain if a user starts a new
> page and I have to contact a page creator each time a new page is
> created because the wiki has no copyright.

Short answer no, but from my experience, users rarely create pages in
such projects.
Your parent parent page should contain some instructions on how to
contribute to that documentation.

Typically, you should have a page that contains the license, then
include that page in subpages, with : [[Include(MyPageName/Copyright)]].

> I'm planning on starting this stuff this month, and it will be on
> docbook xml format, for the packaged/published parts, but the wiki will
> be the place for user comments, mutual help, etc.  Would that be
> appropriate for content that will be, hopefully, added as a debian
> desktop manual (rather than the debian reference which is essentially a
> unix manual and generally not applicable to the typical desktop
> end-user).

Do not expect users to write a manual, it just doesn't work. If you want
someone to write a manual, you will have to write it yourself.
(Contributors write a few lines in a page, but they don't *build* a
structured text, like a manual or a book).

Franklin