Re: CD/DVD clarification suggestion on download page

On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 02:24:05PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 03:49:24AM -0800, David de Hilario Richards wrote:
> > When I downloaded the DVD images on the url below I thought that I needed
> > to download all 3 DVDs in order to install Debian etch. It seems that I
> > was mistaken and only the 1st DVD is needed for the default install.
> >
> > I think that this puts off many people which think that they need to
> > download 13GB worth of DVDs when only the first is really needed.
>
> > http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/
>
> This is supporting my earlier comments about /distrib/ and
> /distrib/netinst... we went from too much obfuscation to too
> little explanation :)
>
> I think we should modify /distrib/ so that it doesn't just link to
> the megalomanic d-i dl page, but instead it should go like:
>
> * one item describing installations *without* network access, meaning:
>   /CD/http-ftp/ + /CD/torrent-cd/ + /CD/jigdo-cd/ [1]
> * one item for installations *with* network access
>   link to /distrib/netinst/

Okay, so I went ahead and did this. Now /distrib/ no longer links to
the d-i mega-link-collection, and instead it links to those four pages,
each of which have their own link collection. It's still fairly consistent,
and the number of clicks is the same - maybe a bit more scrolling, but
that's not necessarily a bad thing. The documentation links are a bit
more visible.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.