Re: Info on this site

Am Freitag 09 November 2007 schrieb Thijs Kinkhorst:
> On Fri, November 9, 2007 12:43, MJ Ray wrote:
> > "Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:
> >> Well, I think, if a debian server would have been compromised, this
> >> should be appear at once on the webside. Also, when the main server is
> >> down, everyone should be informed about the non-reachable server (like
> >> at the moment). IMO , these informations belong to open source policy as
> >> well, don't you think so ?
> >
> > As I understand it, the choice of which news appears on the front page
> > is made by the press team and the security team.  I'm forwarding your
> > question to them too.

Hello team-members !
> Your (Hans's) mail seems to have the assumption that such news isn't put
> on the home page, while in fact it is. See for example this overview of
> older news items where you can see that a compromise is announced:
> http://www.debian.org/News/2006/

Yes, I saw this at that time on the side, but the announcement was real late
(IMO), just 2 days after the compromise, I remember.

> I'm not sure what you mean with "the main server is down", but as far as
> I'm aware there's nothing down that's relevant to end-users - only
> developers. The mirror network seems to function just fine.

Hmm, maybe I am wrong, but as endusers might wonder, why there are suddenly no
new versions, they ask themselves, what happens.

> > I'm not sure whether the debian-infrastructure-announce launch means
> > we should add another section to the front page containing its news -
> > what do others on debian-www think?
>
> News targeted purely at developers, e.g. d-d-a and d-i-a could maybe be
> listed on www.debian.org/devel, but I see no added value of listing it on
> the home page.

Yes, this is my fault, I will put me on the list, so that I will get more
informations.

Please apologize, but I just thought, the website should be the main
information point for everyone and not a list. My fault, I did not understand
the kind of policy, informations are shared.

So, I will subscribe some more lists.

Sorry for the noise !

Cheers

Hans-J. Ullrich