Re: Mentioning proposed-updates on the main website

Hi,

From: Josip Rodin
Subject: Re: Mentioning proposed-updates on the main website
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 21:57:13 +0200

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 08:13:19PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
> > As you may (or may not) know proposed-updates is used as a basis for the
> > next point release. As such it would be good that people would use it
> > more so we find most bugs *before* a point release. To make this happen
> > I want to mention proposed-updates more visibly on the main website.
> > Does anyone have good ideas how and where on the website I should
> > mention proposed-updates (and oldstable-proposed-updates and maybe the
> > process involved)?
>
> /releases/stable/errata actually includes some information about
> that, but I'm not sure where else. Maybe we need a new page called
> /releases/proposed-updates that explains the concept better, and
> then link that one from other places?

FYI http://www.debian.org/security/faq#proposed-updates currently
explains that.  Also,
http://ftp-master.debian.org/proposed-updates.html shows the status.

I worry about the status of the proposed updates.  Those packages are
not always released; only packages accepted by the Stable Release
Manager are released and other packages will be dropped.  So, IMHO
those packages should not be recommended, unlike security updates.
Enough explanation will be required.

Many thanks,

-nori