Re: Improvements of the website

* Bastian Venthur <venthur@debian.org> [2007-04-17 10:15] :
> Hi,
>
> I'm sure this was discussed before (I'm not following -www regulary),
> but why don't we merge the wiki.d.o and debian.org?
>
> If we fear vandalism for the "official" part of the homepage we could
> restrict the write-access of those sites to certain usergroups. I'm sure
> MoinMoin supports ACL and stuff.

I don't know any Wiki which handles translation as well as our current
infrastructure does (with content negociation). The Debian Wiki is no
exception (compare http://wiki.debian.org/PageD'Accueil and
http://wiki.debian.org/FrontPage).

Moreover, the current translation infrastructure allows a good quality
control (based on my experience in the French translation team).

> This way we wouldn't have to distinguish between informations available
> in "the wiki" and "the homepage" this makes no sense anyway from a users
> point of view. A big plus is certainly that we can get rid of WML and
> CVS, and switch to a much more comfortable solution for web publishing.

What might be possible is to add a link at the bottom of each webpage
with a link to the correct WebCVS wml page and instructions to submit
any correction to the appropriate mailing list (I don't think that
editing WML would be difficult to our users).

Greetings,

Fred