Re: Improvements of the website

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 10:15:56AM +0200, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> I'm sure this was discussed before (I'm not following -www regulary),

No, it wasn't.

> but why don't we merge the wiki.d.o and debian.org?

Right! Let's move useful content from the wiki to www.debian.org and
replace it afterwards with a pointer to the website. Please note that
this doesn't make sense for each part of the wiki.

> If we fear vandalism for the "official" part of the homepage we could
> restrict the write-access of those sites to certain usergroups. I'm sure
> MoinMoin supports ACL and stuff.

Oops, you want to wrong direction ...
This means a complete rewrite. Is there even a way to support
translations in the wiki? Content negotiation probably does not work
and following individual translations manually is no fun.

There is also no common framework (header, footer, navigational
structures) in the wiki but this could maybe added to the Wiki. But I'm
sure it's not easy.

Also how to download the wiki to work offline and how to resync?

> This way we wouldn't have to distinguish between informations available
> in "the wiki" and "the homepage" this makes no sense anyway from a users
> point of view. A big plus is certainly that we can get rid of WML and
> CVS, and switch to a much more comfortable solution for web publishing.

I have to confess that I'm not aware of any useful information in the
wiki. I know a few developer related pages (TODOs), wordlists for translators
but for official information related to Debian I *only* use the website
and the DDP.

Jens