Re: Re: New Debian Site

Mathieu Stumpf wrote:
> > That's why I would first like to see detailed criticism on what's
> > wrong with the current site or layout before we can start discussing
> > how to change this and see how it can be improved.  If the site is
> > fine as it is, there's no need to change anything.
> >
> > To make a start...
>
> There are already some criticisms on this thread, have a look at the Augusto
> Frausin mails.

I don't have them, but well, somebody may have to extract the details
and address them.

> >  1. The blue side-menue on the main page does not end at the
> >     horizontal bar but stops in the middle of the page, while the
> >     right side (the content) has a negative indention as soon as the
> >     blue menu ends.
>
> Honestly, do you really think it's the first thing someone will think about
> when coming on the debian main page? Here is what basic users propably
> think : "this page sucks!" ;P

Thanks for this qualified commend and detailed discussion on each
problem in particular.

I don't care if this is something a new user thinks of after a first
glance, but it is one thing I notic and I care about.  I'd be happy if
this could be fixed.

> Really can't you see how ugly is the current layout? That's really a problem,

Well... no.

If you believe it is ugly, please elaborate on *what* you think is ugly.

> >     The page would look nicer if either the side menu would have the
> >     same length as the content, or if the content would start using
> >     the entire width when the side menu has ended.
>
> The page would look nicer if it has not this horrible colors in its menu.

Wow!  *rataplan*  Here's a beginning.

Which colors do you think are horrible?  The Debian red?  The dark
blue in the menu?  The light blue on the left side?  The white below
the content?  Or the rainbow colours in the W3C button?  Or maybe the
black used for the letters?

Sorry, a comment "the page sucks" or "look at the horrible colors" is
as useful as the information that a bag of rice was dropped on the
floor in China.

(Sidenote: take a look at http://gallery.infodrom.org/ - do you really
want to discuss colours with me?)

> What do you call a negative identation? There is an indentation for the
> maincol, but it's a positive one and it's the same all along the
> page.

This is positive indention:

      This paragraph starts with a small positive space
   on the left side in the first line which is not what
   it would do usually.

This is negative indention:

   This paragraph starts with a small negative space on
      the left side in the first line which is not what
      it would do usually when you're used to blocks.

In my browser the page looks like

XXXmenuXXX YYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontent
XXXmenuXXX YYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontent
XXXmenuXXX YYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontent
XXXmenuXXX YYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontent
XXXmenuXXX YYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontent
         YYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYY
         YYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYY
         YYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYY
         YYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYYYYYYcontentYY

> >  2. When using a graphical browser with only ~850 pixel wide the top
> >     menu contains line breaks in several languages.  Since we don't
> >     write on our page 'optimised for 1024x786' or something it would
> >     be nice if we could use shorter strings.
> >
> >     One way would be "About Debian" --> "About", another proposal
> >     would be to change "Getting Debian" into something else, maybe
> >     "Download".
>
> Well I tried with Epiphany 1.4.8 and it didn't make linebreak (which would be
> a good thing to my mind) but goes out of the red box, and makes appear an
> horizontal scrollbar. I tried whith the css i proposed and it works even with
> a 640*480 resolution under epiphany (others browsers I tried didn't have the
> problem of the line break).

Did you check the French translation?  Or the German one?

I explicitly didn't talk about the english version.

Regards,

	Joey

--
In the beginning was the word, and the word was content-type: text/plain