Re: New Debian Site

HXC wrote:
> > If you are interested in my proposal, please let me know,
> >
> > Thank you for your time, hope to hear from you soon,
> > Augusto Frausin
>
> Nice post and I rally agree with your assesment. Unfortunatly there is
> not a lot going on in these lists. I also offered my help but find it
> hard to find out where to start. I was thinking to gather a bunch of
> webdevelopers and to develop a new website prototype to show what is
> possible.

Maybe claiming to know web design and wanting to totally change the
Debian website is not the a good idea?

First of all, you'll have to understand how the website works.
<http://www.debian.org/devel/website/> should provide all information.
You can check out the site on your own and modify it as you like.  You
can extract patches and send them to the list.  If accompanied by an
explanation and if they look good, they'll be included.  I'm not sure
somebody else except Jutta Wrage already did so.

Second, you should take into account the following facts:

 - the website is available in > 20 languages
 - there are > 50 people working on it concurrently
 - it's based on WML to provide ways of automatically building pages
   (e.g. News overviews, release numbers and dates)
 - the website contains a lot of maintained content

Third, before you start, you should determine what you want to do.
I.e. if you want to fix something, you'll need to know what to fix.
Simply comparing the Debian website with another website will most
probably not work due to a different scope, technique, webmasters etc.

If you both are serious, you should inspect the website and identify
the parts you want to change and how.  Then you'll have to take a look
at the underlying technique and find out how to do so.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessarily a good idea.