Re: Invalid HTML-Tags

Hi,

Jutta Wrage <jw@witch.westfalen.de> (06/10/2005):
> I discovered that especially in the french translations HTML-Tags in
> the original version have been replaced, using the <u>-Tag.
>
> Please do not use that any longer!
> Two reasons
> - not valid
> - things not to be used (<i>) should be replaced by something, that
> tells more about the content, but not by invalid old html.

Please ask the debian-l10n-french list before fixing everything related
to typography. For example:

This is wrong for two reasons:
- the result will be "Snow Crash". In French, " does not exist, it must
  be replaced by «&nbsp;text&nbsp;»
- in French, book titles must be underlined or in italic. As <u> is
  deprecated, we will only use <i> (and not <em>).

> Quotations:
>
> You may either use the quote div - example aof usage ist in devel/join

>   <q> </q> is a quotation inside text, language (lang=en-us) may be used
> <cite> </cite> is for the quotation source (or person cited
> <kbd> </kbd> is for keyborad _input_
> <samp> </samp> is for program _output_
> <var> </var> is for variables (names or to be replaced by the user)
> <code> </code> for computer code - I think, that can be taken for
> program names, too? Suggestion?
> <pre>
> </pre> is preformatted text - lines should not be to long!!

We will continue, at least in French, to use <i>. Foreign words must be
in italic, <em> does not assure us that it will be in italic.

Do you keep a diff of all changes you have applied? If yes, can you
please send me a copy, I will check everything for the French
translation.

Cheers,

--
Thomas Huriaux